Date Night

Scene: Master bedroom, early evening.  Momma is sitting at the vanity finishing her makeup.  Little Dog Bucky is on the floor chewing on a bone.  Big Dog Chunky walks in.


BDC: Hey Momma.  It smells like flowers in here (starts sneezing dramatically)
M: That's my perfume.  Isn't it nice? (continues to brush stuff on her face)
BDC: Ugh, if you say so, Momma. (looks at her sideways, shaking his head) You don't normally use that stuff.  What's going on tonight?
M: Daddy and I planned a date night tonight, so I'm getting a little glam.


BDC pauses with a thoughtful look on his face.


BDC: Uh, Ok. What happens on 'date night'?
M: It's a time for Daddy and I to reconnect, just the two of us. Tonight, we're going out for drinks and dessert at a fancy restaurant.  


Daddy calls the dogs downstairs for treats and to go outside.


The dogs come back in.  Just inside the door, BDC stops to talk to D.  LDB continues on to the family room and lays on the loveseat.


BDC: Daddy, can I come with you and Momma tonight?  
D: Nope, sorry buddy.  It's special Momma/Daddy time.
BDC: I promise to be good! And I like fishes! It will be so fun!
D (looking quizzically at BDC): We're not getting seafood tonight, buddy. Where'd you get fishes...?


Momma walks down the stairs, ready for a night out.


M: All ready!  How do I look?
D: Beautiful!  (Kisses M on the cheek) Why is Chunk talking about fishes?
M: No idea. Chunk, what's up with fishes?
BDC: Well, you said you were getting a little clam, and where there are clams there are fishes, so I thought I could play with fishes while -
M: GLAM.  I said glam, short for glamorous -
BDC: Clamorous?  So it's a loud fish party? That sounds even better!  Please, please, please can I come with!? I'll be a good boy! (BDC starts hopping around.  LDB looks over at the commotion.)
M (exasperated): No.  You cannot come to the loud fish party.  It's date night.
BDC (a little crestfallen): Ok... can you please bring back some dates for me and Bucky?


M closes her eyes for a second, then scratches BDC's ears and kisses the top of his head.


M: No baby, there won't be dates either.  Be good. (M takes D's hand and they turn to leave)
BDC (under his breath): No dates, no fishes, no clams...  (turns to LDB) I don't know how they're going to have any fun without us, Bucky.

LDC has fallen asleep and responds with soft snoring noises.

Comments

Popular Posts