Silence Breaker

Scene: Momma is sitting at the kitchen table on a sunny afternoon, reading the Silence Breakers issue of Time Magazine. Little Dog Bucky is lying in a patch of sunlight.  Big Dog Chunky wanders over to Momma.

Big Dog Chunky: Whatcha doin’ Momma?
Momma: Hey Chunka. I’m reading about the person of the year, which is actually a group of people known for being silence breakers.
BDC (dancing around): Hey, I’m a silence breaker!  I’m a person of the year!  Do I get a treat?
Little Dog Bucky (sits up and looks intently at Momma): Treats?
M: No treats yet babies.  And no, Chunky, you’re not a person of the year. The Silence Breakers are a group of people that spoke up to report and ultimately end abuse, despite social and legal structures preventing them from doing just that.
BDC (softly, walking out of the room):  I’ll show you, just you wait...

M goes back to reading her magazine.  LDB flops back down in his patch of sunshine.

Later, in the dark middle of the night, BDC rises from his dog bed…

BDC: *ahem* WOOOOO!  WOOOOOOO!  WOOOOOO!

Daddy, Momma and LDC jump out of bed clumsily, not quite awake.

Daddy:  What’s going on!?!?
M: Wha?  Chunka, you ok?
BDC: I’m a silence breaker!  WOOOOOOO!  WOOOOOO!
D: What!?
M: Ugh, he wants to be a person of the year.  He thinks it’ll get him extra treats…
LDB and BDC (In unison):  Treats!?
D: Quiet! Everyone go back to bed!
BDC (softly): Um, woooo…
M: Chunky, go back to bed.
BDC: But, I have to go outside…
M: Okay, let’s go outside doggos.

Momma heads downstairs, doggos following behind.

BDC (to LDB): Told ya I was a silence breaker.
LDB: Thanks for breaking the silence, big brother.  I have to go outside too, but I wasn’t brave enough to wake up momma and daddy.

Momma opens the back door.  The doggos head outside.

Comments

Popular Posts